Flower of Culture

Welcome to my little corner of the web! I will be discussing language, culture and art here.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

News Perspectives

Ever gotten sick and tired of trying to find out what's really happening in other countries, particularly those targeted by the U.S. government, and finding only the same biased views on every Western media site?

I have, and recently came up with a solution of my own. I look for news sites based in the countries themselves, and almost always find myself looking at international situations with a new perspective. Of course it helps to know other languages, but many foreign news media have their sites in English as well as their own language.

It started with Venezuela, because of the obvious corporation-bias in Western coverage of that country (and the rest of South America I might add.) The disrepancy between the coverage and what I knew from my cultural studies to be true was great, and thus began my search for foreign media to get international news.

I bookmark the good sites I find, which makes it easy to keep coming back and back to keep up with the news. Currently, my focus is on Iran, because of the constant U.S. concentration on demonizing and provoking a fight with them. Here are a few good news sites (though I'm not done looking for non-US-biased sites about that region.)

Payvand is a good one, with news from several different sites and from different viewpoints. The IRNA is one I often check - Iran's official news agency. I also like reading blogs by people who actually live in that country. I've only found a few so far about Iran and most aren't updated frequently, but here are some of the best I've discovered. The Super Heavy is a gem, with anecdotes and fascinating details about life in Iran, from the perspective of an American woman married to an Iranian. This one, this one, and this one have good photos of Iran for those who want to know what the country looks like.

Enjoy, and I hope you'll look for your own good sources of foreign media to counteract agenda-biased propaganda!

6 Comments:

  • At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you Violeta, It will be refreshing to get away from what I hear all the time here. I have added those links to my favorites.

     
  • At 11:27 PM, Blogger Violeta del mar said…

    You're welcome! Sadly I think the best news sites are probably in languages I don't know, but I'm very glad for the good news sites that do exist in English. :)

     
  • At 4:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Violeta :)
    I just saw your link (thank you, by the way) in my cPanel and thought I'd take a look...

    We've since left Iran and are back in India - with plans to return in about six months.
    I'm hoping to do a much better job of chronicling my visits there in the future - so stay tuned.

    If you've any curiosities or questions about what it was like there, just let me know!
    :)
    Tess

     
  • At 6:06 PM, Blogger Violeta del mar said…

    Hi Tess! :)

    You're welcome, and thanks for your comment - it was a nice surprise!

    The main questions I have are about everyday life, how people live, what they do for recreation and family fun, how they feel about different things, etc. :) Through your blog, you've already answered some of the things I've always wanted to know about Iranian culture, things I've never been able to learn elsewhere.

    I look forward to your further adventures in Iran when you return there, and in the meantime, I'm equally intrigued by your tidbits about India (another country I've always wanted to visit.) :)

    Violeta

     
  • At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Generally I don't learn post on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very compelled me to take a look at and do so! Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thanks, quite great article.
    Visit my web-site :: sahibinden satilik daireler

     
  • At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love looking through a post that will make people think.
    Also, many thanks for allowing for me to comment!
    Also see my site :: satilik daireler istanbul

     

Post a Comment

<< Home